Help Us Save the NEH
Soul Calling, funded by California Humanities
- Joel Pickford
The White House released its comprehensive budget for the Federal government for FY 2018. This budget calls for the elimination of the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), along with other cultural agencies, including the National Endowment for the Arts, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and the Institute of Museums and Libraries in FY18. These agencies make up less than .02 percent of the proposed federal budget, and yet have a major impact on the far corners of every state.
Elimination of these agencies will have a profound effect on public humanities programs that take place in local libraries, veterans’ organizations, schools, museums, and often through film, radio and television. California Humanities is able to do our extensive work across the state because of the support provided by the NEH.
It is up to Congress to help stop this elimination, and it’s up to all of us to TAKE ACTION by visiting, calling or writing to our members of congress and share how important the NEH and California Humanities is to of the people and economy of California. Take a few minutes to tell them why it’s imperative that the NEH continues to support programs that:
- Stimulate local economies
- Leverage $5 at the local level for every federal dollar re-granted
- Deliver innovative programs on veterans’ issues
- Promote K-12 education
- Provide cultural opportunities to rural communities
- California Humanities is a non-partisan nonprofit
- California Humanities is funded by the NEH as well as foundation, corporate, and individual funders
- California Humanities has never received state funding
California Humanities alone has awarded over $29 million in grants across the state since 1975, grants that clearly show an investment in the lives of people of communities of all sizes, as indicated in a recent California Humanities op-ed piece. Support for the NEH is an investment in the nation’s future as we improve education, create deeper civic engagement and connect to each to other through our shared experiences.
Please take action today to help save the NEH!
Other ways you can help:
- Forward this blog to friends and family members and ask them to take action
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, and share our posts with your friends
- Educate yourself on why the NEH Matters
Join The Conversation